Board meeting minutes 2017-12-14

  • Agree chair
    • John chairing. Greg minuting.
  • Apologies
    • None (full house!)
  • Minutes of last meeting: 12th October
    • Now have permission/waiver from EMU analytic to use their building height data (from Lidar data) that was published as CC-BY-SA. Only average height, not good for complex heights.
    • Action: RN to announce in newsletter
  • Matters arising
    • None
  • Report on enquiries to the board (all)
    • Two (ODI & Asda) which are covered by later agenda items.
  • Financial report (Jon)
    • £1430.83 now in the bank (having moved some out of Paypal)
  • Membership report (Greg)
    • 57 people now on membership. Non-fee-payers have been rejected.
    • They got 3 reminders, but not asked why they didn’t join/pay.
    • Action, Brain: draft message to ask non-payers for feedback & tell them it’s the last e-mail.
  • Website (Rob/Greg)
    • Bios to go on, awaiting Adam’s bio.
  • BCU tileserver (Brian)
    • Not sure of state.
    • Nick seems to just be running small tests on his own server.
    • We might need to look at provisioning something ourself.
    • Need to focus on our MVP(minimal viable product), a UK render, to get it live/public/running before doing anything else.
    • Need to get exact up date from Nick.
      • Action, Adam: Invite Nick to next board meeting.
  • Welsh/UK rendering (Adam)
  • Satorilab grant funding proposal (Adam)
    • Good e-mail from Ben (Satorilab) being open and talking about the future after March (funding ends) and how that might entail osmuk.
    • Set-up call in Jan to discuss their wording for that, and cost it might be?
    • Action Rob: (check with Ben), copy text to Loomio to see which members are interested.
  • Apps (Adam)
    • Jon is looking at some things, including his own instance of OSM Notes so we can try apps/things without disrupting the main database of that.
    • Adam/Jon: action to schedule a call together before next meeting
  • West Midlands Data Discovery Centre (Brian)
    • Progress stalled due to paperwork.
    • Action: Brian to continue.
  • Contact with Mapbox (Brian)
    • Around West Midlands/Mappa Mercia being a global city of theirs (better imagery now exists)
    • Other contact was around Geospatial Comission: they want us to lead on it but they’re there if they can support us. Would be good to get them to review our policy statement.
  • (Rob had to leave at this time)
  • Case Studies (Brian/Greg)
    • Need a workflow? Keep it simple, and just ensure subjects sign-off on the case study.
    • Add in a 48 hour time for board to see case studies before publishing?
  • Membership drive for organisations (Brian)
    • Need to draft reasons on why it’s good to sponsor OSM
    • Need a list of who might be interested
    • Action: Greg to share in Loomio directors SotM 2013 sponsors sheet & new spreadsheet.
  • 360 camera scheme (Rob)
    • What packaging needed and cost to send it out?
    • Hoping to have a poster tube to send it in, will have to see how it holds with wear and tear. Rob will claim back initial packaging costs, but will cover any additional packaging costs incurred in 2018 himself. He has also provided a free SD card.
    • Plan to depreciate it over 2 years.
    • Action: Brian/Jon to write ballpark budget that includes contingency/packaging.
  • Pool of volunteers to attend events (Rob/Brian)
    • Initial conversation had that it’s a good idea to have a pool. How to do it?
    • Action: put it on Loomio/newsletter, about thoughts.
  • Ilya Zverev’s Streak
  • Geospatial commission policy statement
    • Action Rob: Send to ODI/Mapbox just for extra eyes and any feedback from them.
  • 2018 plans/strategy for achieving AoA aims (Brian)
    • We’re doing well with getting people to open up data.
    • Need to focus on the other 3 aims and how to achieve those.
    • Action Brian: open Directors Loomio thread to brainstorm increasing members & member skills, to have something to discuss at next meeting.
    • Action all: contribute to thread.
  • AGM: Manchester or Peterborough?
    • Need to get on so we can give people months notice to plan to attend.
    • When could Jon have accounts ready?
    • Date would be from end of April to end of June? May?
    • Manchester or Peterborough (joint by Loomio poll), have directors quick vote on those.
    • Need to decide format before venue. Have workshops to improve skills? Max 4 hours (to allow for day visits)
  • Budget (Jon)
    • A number of outgoings and potential outgoings being planned for that we need to be aware of.
    • We have about £1,400. Should aim to recruit members (individuals & corporate) in the next 6 months.
    • Need to start having a more draft/ballpoint budget, so we can drive our priorities.
  • AOB
    • Ilyia’s Validation Tool (as used for Shell stations): should we promote it?
      • Will be able to add the Asda data we got to it as a task/project.
      • Action: Rob to promote.
    • Quarterly project: not board business. Discussion takes place on Loomio/talk-gb.
    • Highways England: We’re now on the official panel of organisations to receive updates as they change road layouts/smart-lanes.
      • Don’t know what format or how we can publish/share it to UK mappers. Ideal if we can.
      • No idea when we’ll first get data from it. They can be slow & sudden in contact.

Next meeting: 11th January. Meeting ended +89 minutes.