With specific focus on the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland plus Crown Territories we:
- Increase the quality and quantity of data about the UK in OpenStreetMap
- Improve and increase the size, skills, toolsets and cohesion of the OpenStreetMap community in the United Kingdom
- Promote and facilitate the use of OpenStreetMap data by individuals and organisations in the United Kingdom
- Promote and facilitate the release by organisations in the United Kingdom of data that is suitable for use in OpenStreetMap
As a not for profit community interest company, OpenStreetMap United Kingdom C.I.C undertakes activities which benefit the community in our region (the United Kingdom, including Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and Channel Islands). We became a Local Chapter of the OpenStreetMap Foundation (OSMF) in 2017. The agreement is an indication of the OSMF’s confidence in us. It also enables us to take a seat on the OSMF Advisory Board, a group with representatives from large businesses and other Local Chapters.
We are delighted to be able to support our community and we will strive to be a leading player within the OpenStreetMap project.
Photo CC-BY-SA 剛広 渡邉 – L to R: Frederik and Ilya (OSMF), Jon, Rob and Gregory (OSMUK), Paul and Martijn (OSMF).
Having built the basic organisation in Year 1 (2017-18), Year 2 (2018-19) concentrates on promoting OSMUK at every suitable opportunity and to every suitable target audience.
We are still a very young organisation and it was difficult to set hard targets.
In 2018-19, amongst other things, we will:
- Promote Quarterly Projects outside of OSM channels
- Run a meetup event (aligned with an ODI node or similar existing group)
- Focus on developers and website builders as the main groups. Additional focus groups to be aligned with Quarterly Projects.
- Get the Talent Directory set up so that we are ready to link people to projects if requested
- Improve the website, focusing on helping people navigate existing content, rather than new content creation
- Develop a list of projects that are of academic interest